Here’s a dessert to please any sweet tooth. Our caramelised banana with pistachio praline ice cream is a decadent, easy dessert. Baked caramel bananas and jazzed up good quality store bought vanilla ice cream. Simple really and delicious! You can add any type of nuts you like to this praline recipe. Just substitute almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts or macadamias.
Caramelized banana with pistachio praline ice cream
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 4 small bananas, peeled
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 50g butter, cut in 8 pieces (salt reduced or unsalted)
... for the praline ice cream
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
- 1 litre of good quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 lime cut in wedges (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped
- In a small heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat, add the caster sugar, stirring occasionally until the sugar melts and starts to turn golden brown. Remove from the heat, working quickly so that the sugar doesn’t burn, stir in the chopped pistachio kernels and mix thoroughly. Pour the nut mixture onto the lined baking tray, then spread as thinly as possible and allow to cool. While the praline cools.
- Remove the tub of ice cream from the freezer, take out about ¼ and place the remaining ¾ in the fridge for about 10 minutes, allowing it to soften slightly. While the ice cream softens, take the bake with the cooled praline and fold in half and wrap in another sheet of bake. Place in a large freezer bag. Use a rolling pin to gently pulverise the praline. Place the smashed praline to a large bowl, with softened ice cream and as fast as you can, use a large metal spoon to thoroughly combine. Transfer the praline ice cream immediately to either a rectangular takeaway container or back to the original tub and return to the freezer right away to freeze hard.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or a BBQ with a hood to medium.
- Peel the bananas. In a freezer bag, add the brown sugar and cardamom. Add the bananas, then seal the bag and give it a good shake until each banana is well coated. Tear off 4 square pieces of foil and bake. Place the Alfoil sheet with the bake on top and the sugar coated banana on top of that. Add 2 pieces of butter to each parcel, fold the Alfoil over the bananas and crimp tightly to form neat packages.
- Bake in the oven or on the BBQ for 10-15minutes until the bananas are slightly soft and the sugar has caramelised and melted. Open each banana package, serve sprinkled with pistachios, a ball of the pistachio praline ice cream and a wedge of lime. Serves 4 plus extra ice cream.