Roast tomato chorizo chilli soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 6 large ripe tomatoes (about 800g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 medium red onion finely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups low or no salt chicken stock
- 1 fresh long red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 chorizo sausages skinned and finely diced.
- Sour cream (optional)
- basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove the core from each tomato and cut them in half. Place them cut side up on the lined oven tray, drizzle lightly with olive oil. Scatter with thyme leaves and place a small slice of garlic on each tomato half.
- Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes until soft and starting to collapse. Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- While the tomatoes cool, in a large pan on a medium heat, add the remaining olive oil and the diced red onion.
- Sauté stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until soft and just starting to change colour. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock, turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Remove and discard the skins from the roasted tomatoes. Ttransfer the tomatoes to the pan with the stock and onions. Cook the soup for 10 minutes until slightly reduced, blitz until smooth with a hand held stick blender.
- Fry the chorizo until slightly golden, drain off any oil and transfer to the soup pan, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve piping hot, decorated with dollops of sour cream and a few torn basil leaves.